The Peter Pan Park monument honors veterans of the Spanish-American War. Sponsored by the Harry Easter Chapter of the United Spanish War Veterans of Emporia, it was constructed between December 1940 and April 1941 by members of the National Youth Administration, under the direction of post commander W J Reynolds.
The monument is 11 ½’ high, 4’ square at the base, and two feet square at the top. It is made of native limestone and Carthage stone, and contains colored rocks from 15 states donated by Mr. Reynolds.
There are also two stone benches, and a 45-foot steel flagpole nearby. The Daughters of Union Veterans, Department of Kansas, presented the pole and flag to the city of Emporia. A bronze plaque (since removed) read,
“The Flag Our Fathers Saved. Dedicated May 14, 1934 to Our Fathers by the Daughters of Union Veterans. 1861– Civil War – 1865.”
The marble tablet containing the organizational
emblem and the motto reads,
“In memory of the United Spanish War Veterans.”