Fremont Park, at 4th Avenue and Union Street, is named for John C. Fremont, an explorer, veteran of the Mexican War and Civil War, and 1856 Presidential candidate from Kansas.
At its southwest corner is a Civil War memorial erected in 1913 by the Women’s Relief Corps. The memorial is a 12-foot-high granite obelisk, about five feet wide at the base.
On the four sides reads:
North: To Our Silent Victors.
East: In Memory of Our Nation’s Heroes
South: Lest We Forget
West: Erected by W.R.C. No. 70 and Citizens of Emporia 1913. (shown)