Civil War Memorial
Located in the Northeast corner of Maplewood Cemetery, a Civil War monument consists of a “Memorial Altar” erected in 1915 by the Ladies of the GAR. Two Civil War-era Howitzer cannon and eight unmarked white planters intended to
commemorate the Armies of the Potomac, the Rappahannock, and the Cumberland, the Navy, Cavalry and Marines, the Western Army, and the Armies of both North and South. Two plaques under the cannon are marked “May 30 1918 - Memorial – Hancock Post No. 464 G.A.R.”, and list the names of fifteen veterans and their units, mostly from Illinois. The entire memorial has been repainted white.
| The circular
alter holds a tall flagpole visible from the street.
Plaques on the stand read:
In memory of the brave boys in blue
We rally round the flag
Ladies of the G.A.R.
Erected by Garfield Circle No. 22 Ladies of the G.A.R. 1915
Ozetta Marshall Taylor, President